Jump to content

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

  1. Earlier
  2. Timothy joined the unit as a Major, on Timor from Headquarters, Sparrow Force, after the fall of Koepang, approx March 1942. It is not known when he was evacuated from Timor as his service file is not available. He was Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette, 25 May 1943 and in the Commonwealth of Australia Gazette, No 119-3 Jun 1943. These are the two Gazettes for the Timor Campaign. He is known to have been awarded a Member of the Order of the British Empire, Military Division, (MBE), London Gazette, dated 29 Apr 1944. Companion of the Distinguished Service Order, (DSO) London Gazette dated 4 Mar 1947. United States Bronze Star Medal, Commonwealth Gazette, dated 15 Jan 1948. After WW2 his Service Number changed to 381 and he attained the rank of Major General and was awarded the following, Commander of the Military Division of the Order of the British Empire, (CBE), London Gazette, dated 31 Dec 1965. Companion of the Military Order of the Bath, (CB), London Gazette, dated 31 Dec 1971. He was discharged on 5 Aug 1972. The CBE would be an upgrade of the MBE, which he would cease wearing. He would be known as Major General Timothy Frederick Cape, CB, CBE, DSO.
  3. I thought Snowy was the white haired chap far right back row and the third man from left back row, his name should be Stan Weppner.
  4. Commissioned Second Lieutenant on 27 Jan 1938, posted to Indian Army on 27 Nov 1939. Promoted Lieutenant on27 Apr 1940, Acting Captain on 1 Apr 1941, Temporary Captain on 12 Oct 1941, War Substantive Captain 22 May 1943, Captain 27 Jan 1946, Major 27 Jan 1951. The above is curtesy of Jack Langley, Sydney, Australia. Captain. Royal Deccan Horse, Indian Army. He was attached to the unit on New Guinea from 3 Feb 1944 to Unattached on 3 Mar 1944. This info curtesy of nominal roll from National Archives of Australia. The photo and the following is curtesy of Matthew Broadbridge U.K. Lieut-Col Hilary Hook B. 26/9/17 in Farnham, Surrey. Educated Canford School & Royal Military College, Sandhurst. 2/Lt, Unattached List for the Indian Army (ULIA) 27/1/38, Attached in India to the 1st battalion, The Queens Regiment 1/4/1938 for a year (at this time all newly commissioned officers of the ULIA did a year on attachment to a British Army regiment in India before joining their Indian Army units.) From April to July 1939 he was on leave outside of India with a medical certificate (this means he was not fit for duty while he was on medical leave). Confirmed 2/Lt, Indian Army 27/11/39 and posted to Royal Deccan Horse (RDH) (His autobiography states he joined the RDH in January 1938 – I think the first date is actually correct (it’s taken from the Indian Army List) as the RDH did not move to Mardan (which is where the RDH were to be stationed and he was to join) until at least October 1939.) Lt 27/4/40, Acting Captain 1/4/41 - 30/6/41, Temporary Captain 12/10/41 - 15/6/42. By April 1942 he was serving on the staff of 251st Indian Armoured Brigade based at Secunderabad War Substantive Captain 22/5/43, Acting Major 22/3/43 – 21/5/43, Temporary Major 22/5/43 – 13/5/44, Temporary Major 5/8/44 - 22/10/44, Temporary Major 28/4/45 - 16/2/46, Appointed to the staff of the Indian Armoured Corps Trade Training Centre as a Group commander on 22/4/46. Captain 27/1/46. Temporary Major 21/3/46 - 31/3/48, Transfers to the British Army and 7th Queens Own Hussars on 26/6/47. Specially employed 23/10/49 – 2/4/54 with the Sudan Defence Force. Temporary Major 21/6/50 - 26/1/51, Major 27/1/51. Appointed Temporary Lt-Col & Local Colonel 12/8/61 – ? 1964? Military Attaché to the Sudan at Khartoum 12/8/61 to 1964. Retired Maj (Hon Lt-Col) 13/10/64. He retired to Kenya where he lived until 1984 when he returned to England. Died 14th September 1990 in Warminster, Wiltshire.
  5. Commissioned second Lieutenant on 31 Jan 1936 and posted to the Indian Army on 20 Mar 1937. Promoted Lieutenant 30 Apr 1938. He has service No 62336 in the London Gazette for WW2. The above curtesy of Jack Langley, Sydney. Probyn's Horse, Indian Army. He was attached to the unit on New Guinea from 3 Feb 1944 to Unattached 29 Feb 1944 . Curtesy of Nominal Roll National Archives of Australia. MAJ Loraine-Smith was awarded an MC whilst OC, "A" Squadron Probyn's Horse during the crossing of the Irrawaddy in 1945. Wounded in Action on 24 April 1945 in vicinity of Toungoo. Whilst attempting to capture a bridge there, Loraine-Smith was wounded by shrapnel from an enemy gun which penetrated his Sherman's armour and ended in the tank 'brewing up'. The above curtesy of Laurie Promoted Major 20 Apr 1948. Retires on account of disability. 27 Nov 1953. The following curtesy of Matthew Broadbridge. UK. Major Bernard Lawson Loraine-Smith, M.C., psc B. 20/4/12. Educated ? & Cambridge University. Commissioned (late Offr. Cadet, Cambridge Univ. Contgt., Sen. Div., O.T.C.) on the Supplementary Reserve of Officers with the Durham Light Infantry as a 2nd Lt., 10th Feb. 1934. Commissioned a 2/Lt on to the Unattached List for the Indian Army (ULIA) from Supplementary Reserve of Officers, Durham Light Infantry) with seniority 10/2/35 on 30/1/36. Attached in India to the 2nd battalion, Border Regiment 18/3/1936 for a year (at this time all newly commissioned officers of the ULIA did a year on attachment to a British Army regiment in India before joining their Indian Army units.) Appointed to the Indian Army as 2/Lt on 20/3/37 and posted to Probyn's Horse. Served with the regiment on the North-West frontier of India during 1936-37. Serving with Probyn's Horse 1939. Promoted Lieut 30/4/38, acting Captain 8/9/39 – 28/11/39, acting Captain 10/12/40 to 9/3/41, temporary Captain 10/3/41 - 1/6/41, temporary Captain 16/7/41 - 29/1/44, Captain 30/1/44. Attended Staff College, Quetta 1941-42. Wounded Commanding ‘A’ Squadron, Probyn's Horse, in Burma 24/4/45 – his leg was amputated. Awarded the Military Cross (LG 24/5/45) with Probyn’s Horse for Burma. Married 1946 in London to Rachel Anne Studd Transfers to the British Army and 7th Queens Own Hussars on 17/8/46 retaining his seniority. Temporary Major ? to ? & 18/10/46 to 19/4/48, Major 20/4/48 Retires on retired pay on account of disability, 27th November 1953. Died 23rd January 1985 in Oxford, Oxfordshire
  6. Members of the Doublereds fraternity will be saddened to learn of the passing of Alexander ‘Ian’ Hampel of the 2/4 Commando Squadron. The following profile of Ian was prepared for the 2012 Mission to Timor-Leste to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Timor campaign: “Ian Hampel enlisted for service at the Melbourne Town Hall in July 1941. In September 1942, he embarked for service in Timor with the 2/4th Commando Squadron as a Private on the ‘HMAS Voyager’ and served in Timor as a Bren gunner until the Squadron withdrew in January 1943. During his time in Tim or he was struck most by the loyalty of his fellow servicemen. Ian believes that it was the sense of deep cooperation and spirit of sharing that made the squadron such an effective guerilla group. It was this closeness that made losing a friend in action all the more difficult. Ian found it particularly hard to bury his friend Snowy Hourigan, who was killed during an aborted ambush. Snowy, who had recently lost his mother and brother, died in what appeared to Ian to be a suicidal last attempt to kill as many of the approaching enemy as he could. Ian and a few others created a makeshift grave for Snowy with the dirt on the track where he died. Ian also saw overseas service in Milne Bay between August 1943 and March 1944. Discharged from the Army in June 1944, he joined the Royal Australian Air Force the next day as an aircrew trainee and spent the remainder of the war with the RAAF. Following discharge in October 1945, Ian trained as an Aeronautical Engineer through the Commonwealth Reconstruction Scheme. It was while working on a shipyard in Sweden in 1951 that he met his wife, and they had three children together. In his recreation time, Ian enjoys cross-country skiing, and still skis up to 10 kilometres at a time. As with many who served in Timor, Ian developed close relationships not only with the men of his squadron, but also with the local people. His greatest hope in returning to Timor is that he may meet up with some of the Timorese people who ensured the survival of the Australians who fought there”. A fuller eulogy for Ian was delivered by Mick Stone of Timor Awakening on the occasion of his funeral at Wahroonga, Sydney on May 20 and can be found at https://www.facebook.com/mickjstone/posts/10161718841855564
  7. Peter Epps

    Ivor Sinclair Goodall

    Ivor completed the training at Wilson's Promontory and was an original member of the unit, even to the point that he went to Darwin with the unit but did not embark. He did not return to the unit and was discharged on 11 Mar 1946.
  8. Association President John Denman and Vice-President Ed Willis were interviewed for an ABC Radio presentation about their fathers’ wartime experiences on Timor on the afternoon of 17 April by Producer Amber Cunningham. The presentation was aired on Jessica Strutt’s Afternoon Focus program on 24 April, the day before Anzac Day. A recording of the 45 minute interview can be listened to and downloaded by following this link: ABC Afternoon Focus Program on Timor during WWII
  9. Peter Epps

    Arthur Henry Cullen

    Arthur embarked for the Middle East with 2/3rd Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, aboard HT L11 on 15 Nov 1940 and served in NORTH AFRICA and CRETE. He was promoted Acting Bombardier on 20 Sept 1941 and confirmed Bombardier on 29 Oct 1941. He returned to Australia aboard "DARBAN CASTLE"? on 17 Mar 1942, appointed Lance Sergeant on 19 Jul 1942 and promoted Acting Sergeant on 21 Aug 1942. He attended 1st Australian Commando Training Squadron on 22 Jun 1943 and reverted to Private at his own request on 8 May 1943. He joined the unit on 15 May 1943 and embarked with the unit for New Guinea aboard S.S. “DUNTROON” on 17 Jun 1943 and was wounded in action (Chest) on 6 Mar 1944 and was Medevac to Australia aboard "GORGON" on 25 Jun 1944. After recuperating he transferred to 1st Australia Ordnance Small Craft Park on 22 Aug 1944. Arthur was discharged on 29 Sept 1945.
  10. The 6th soldier sitting at the very back in the hat is my father George Coulson it was incorrectly named in the book.
  11. Hi Peter Thank you for that information. I have a question related to Dad's medal entitlement. Would the 2/2 have been regarded as operational when Dad joined them on 30 Jan 1945, or did this only happen once they landed in New Britain. If you like, you can reply direct to me email anoke@Hotmail.com Regards Robert Noakes
  12. John Denman


  13. John Denman


  14. John Denman


  15. John Denman


  16. John Denman


  17. The MC for the Dawn Service was Lieutenant-Colonel Martin Dransfield, from the New Zealand Defence Force. Martin is currently the Strategic Advisor to Chief of Staff of the Falintil–Forcas de Defesa de Timor-Leste (F-FDTL) or Timor-Leste Defense Force. The Service was well attended by Timorese Veterans and civilians; NZ, US and Australian Defence personnel currently serving in Timor-Leste, and the 1942 Tour Group, including the Hayes family. Excellent service, well led by Martin and during the service Martin mentioned the 2/2 and the tour group on a couple of occasions. On completion of the service, the Timorese Veterans requested they meet and shake the hands of all tour group members, and traditional Timorese tais were presented to all members of the touring group by the Timorese General. A most enjoyable and enriching service with lots of photos being taken, both by tour group members and the Timorese Veterans.
  1. Load more activity
  • Create New...