Robert S R Chalmers

Belinda Millar

Hi,

My name is Belinda Millar (nee Chalmers) and my great uncle was Robert Stanley Raymond Chalmers VX34811. I would like to hear from anybody who may have any extra information regarding Robert other than what I may have already obtained, including confirmation that he was the 'Bob' Chalmers, the driver mentioned in the "Ration Truck Massacre" article. 

Any information regarding Robert would be greatly appriciated.

Kind Regards, Belinda Millar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

Hi Belinda

Sorry for delay in answering you.

As Keith Hayes is the only person alive that knew your great uncle and he is not the best at the moment, the only info we have on Robert Chalmers is the following which is on our website

Robert was an original member of the unit, embarking aboard “S.S. ZEALANDIA” on 8 Dec 1941 for Timor as a Private in “Q” Staff of Headquarters Group.

Robert was Killed in Action, 20 Feb 1042, when the ration truck was caught in an ambush during the first landing of the Japanese on Timor.  He is commemorated on the Northern Territory Memorial.

If you are interested I can supply URL's for the National Archives for his service papers, which will only have the basic info on him as he died very early in the war. Also you can purchase a PDF copy of the unit history "All the Bull's Men" from our website here: https://doublereds.org.au/store/category/3-digital-books/

Kind regards

Peter Epps

Hi Peter

Thank-you so very much for getting in touch with me in regards to Robert. I do already have Robert's service papers and had only recently put dates together to find out about "S.S. ZEALANDIA". I will most certainly be purchasing a PDF copy of "All the Bull's Men" and hope to one day visit the Northern Territory Memorial. If in the future anybody wishes to make contact with further information it would be greatly received.Thank-you again and best wishes and thoughts to Keith.

Kind Regards

Belinda Millar

• Committee

Hi Belinda

When I replied to you I didn't have my list with me and now notice we do not have a photo of Robert to add to his bio. Does anyone in the family have a photo of him either in uniform or civilian clothes please???

We are trying to put a photo with each members bio.

Please can you or any family members supply us with any other info you wish to put in his bio, as what I gave you the other day is all we have on Robert??????

Cheers

Peter

• 1 month later...

Gidday Peter and Belinda,Robert Chalmers was my mother Lorna Tobias,Brother,I have a nice Photo of Bob in uniform that I can send by post.If you can give me an address.Belinda are you Malcolm's daughter.Cheers John.Ps Peter is Archie Campbell still going as I had spoken to him in the past.

• Committee

G'day John

Sadly Archie past away a few years back, we only have 3 unit members with us now. Archie was a gentleman of his time as were all his mates.

Would love to have a photo of Robert for our website, many thanks for the offer.

My address 60 Simpson Dr, Padbury, WA, 6025

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter 

I too have obtained a photograph of Robert although it would most likely be the same one that John has...that is all i have. I unfortunately do not have any extra information.

Hi John

Very unexpected to see another family member post. I am Malcolms daughter and if you would like to get in touch I would love to hear from you. You can get in touch any time on 0417862801.

Kind Regards

Belinda